Finding good gifts for older adults — especially mom and dad — can be difficult because they generally buy what they want when they want it or they already own it. National Parent’s Day is Sunday, July 25. To help, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best gifts for elderly parents.
Gifts for Bedtime and Waking Up
- Ecotones Sleep Therapy Machine: Features 10 sound profiles, 3 “Richness” settings to control sounds, 2 operating modes (adaptive and manual), sleep timer and adaptive sound technology.
- Heated mattress pad: Perfect for those always complaining about being cold.
- Sunrise Alarm Clock: A great way to wake up with nature sounds and light simulations.
- Keurig K-Cafe: Your loved ones can serve drip coffee, lattes, cappuccino and espresso with one machine.
- Temperature-controlled Mug: Your parents can use this temperature-controlled mug to drink their coffee or tea at just the right temperature. It can also be controlled through an app.
- Tile Mate Tracker: Everyone misplaces their keys once in a while. The Tile Mate finds them. Its app is easy to use, and the tile itself is small, with a practical design. Simply attach it to a keychain or anything else that’s prone to getting lost.
- Kasa Smart in-wall Outlets: Your loved one can control 2 plugged-in devices from anywhere at the same time or individually with just a smartphone and the Kasa Smart app.
- LastPass: Keeping track of passwords can be difficult; with LastPass, there’s only one master password to remember. Available for smartphones, tablets and PCs.
- Nix Advance Digital Photo Frame: Upload photos and videos from a USB stick or SD card to this Mac- and PC-compatible digital photo frame. It also has a speaker for videos.
- Arlo Video Doorbell: This video doorbell, which works with Amazon’s Alexa, offers HD video quality, 2-way audio, motion detection and alerts, night vision and has a built-in siren.
- Ring Video Doorbell: Perfect for helping your family member detect when someone approaches their door, and see who’s there without leaving their seat — even when they’re not at home – via the Ring smartphone app.
- eufy by Anker: Quiet, self-charging robotic vacuum that cleans all types of floors from hardwood and tile to medium-pile carpets.\
- Apple Watch: It incorporates fitness tracking, health-oriented capabilities, and wireless telecommunication, and integrates with other Apple products and services.
Gifts for Out-of-Town Parents
- Skylight Frame: This digital frame lets you send your loved one all the latest family photos from anywhere.
- Long-Distance Friendship Lamp: With these in-sync lamps, just reach out and touch the lamp, and its mate emits the same ambient glow. Perfect for whenever they want to let your loved one know you’re thinking of them.
- Presto Printing Mailbox. It is a reasonably priced subscription service that comes with a printer, which works without a computer. You need to set up an account, plug the printer into a phone outlet and it prints Emails and photos from pre-approved senders, without the receiver being online.It includes optional free subscriptions to various articles, crossword puzzles and recipes, which print out in addition to the emails.
Fitness Buff Gifts
- Fitbit Charge 3: Among its many features is 24/7 heart rate monitoring, automatic step counting, real-time pace and distance measuring, and sleep tracking.
- Garmin Vivofit Fitness Band: With a battery that lasts a whole year without need for recharging, this tracks stats and metrics such as steps taken, calories burned, distance covered and sleep quality.
The Gift of Independence
Independence is one of the best gift ideas for elderly parents. At The Buckingham, Houston’s premier senior living community, our culture is second to none — with top-notch independent living services and amenities, and a world of opportunity for your loved ones to explore.