Goals are as different as the people who make them. Some aspire to learn the guitar. Others might want to improve their overall health and wellness. And who doesn’t want to just enjoy life more? As many seniors consider their living options, some are looking at retirement communities and the independent living amenities they provide to help them get more out of life. This blog post will explore how to pick the best independent living community for your goals. We’ll also offer some suggestions on how to evaluate all the available independent living services and amenities.
Choosing a Community for Today and Tomorrow
When considering any senior living community, it’s important to think about what you want now and what you’ll need in the future. Here are a few tips to ensure you’re choosing the best option for your lifestyle:
- What’s important?: Make a list of your goals, and evaluate your choices based on which community you think will help you achieve them. You may also want to consider what you’ll need in the future and pick the community that will help you with both. Because, after you make a decision, you don’t want to have to move again if your health needs change.
- Talk with the residents and staff: You may be surprised at what you can learn through a simple conversation. Do the staff and residents share your interests and goals? Would you like having them as your friends and neighbors? How has the community helped them do the things they like to do?
- Rank their amenities: As you tour the community, rank their top amenities. Maybe they have amazing food or a state-of-the-art fitness center. That way you can see what they do well and make sure it aligns with what’s important to you.
Independent Living Amenities to Consider
Based on your interests and plans for the future, here are some independent living amenities to be on the lookout for:
- Wellness: There’s no better way to improve your health and wellness than having the necessary tools and resources close at hand. Senior living communities often feature wellness centers, health and fitness areas with fitness classes and coordinators, walk-in clinics, and more.
- Dining: Because you eat two to three times a day (or more often, perhaps), food is a very important aspect of choosing a community. Not only should you ask to sample the food and talk with residents about it, but you should also check out their dining venue options — do they offer everything from restaurant-style dining to a grab-and-go bistro/cafe to a full-service lounge? You’ll also want to check their dining plans and menu options to make sure they meet your tastes, needs and preferences.
- Freedom: Do more of what you want to do and less of what you don’t. Most communities offer housekeeping, as well as scheduled transportation for shopping, doctors’ appointments and events. They can also offer 24-hour security, indoor and outdoor maintenance, and more!
- Look good. Feel good: If how you look and feel is important to you, consider a community with an on-site salon, barbershop and/or spa. You may also want a community that offers relaxing programs like yoga or tai chi.
- Purpose: Choosing the right community can help you stay connected and engaged. Ask to see their activity calendar of planned events, and their community room and game rooms. Also ask about their clubs, outdoor recreation, reading spaces and computer centers, and find out whether they sponsor outings to the theater, shopping, lifelong learning opportunities and more.
Our Thoughtfully Convenient Amenities and Services
At The Buckingham, we offer a world of opportunity for you to explore with top-notch independent living amenities and services, including:
- Outdoor pool to enjoy soothing sunshine and a refreshing swim
- Fitness center to fit your preferred regimen
- Formal library loaded with literary treasures
- Theater for year-round entertainment
- Creative arts studio where artistic expression thrives
- Beauty salon and barbershop to keep you looking your best
- Woodworking shop so you can carve out some fun
- Putting green to keep your game sharp
- Resident vegetable garden for fresh, homegrown goodness
- Guest suites offering comfortable quarters for family and friends
- Garages and covered parking to keep your car shielded from the elements
- Interior and exterior maintenance so someone else takes care of the details
- Exceptional dining services so you can enjoy what you want when you want
- Weekly housekeeping and laundry services so you’re free you to do the things you love
- Staffed, gated community for an added sense of security
- 24-hour security for peace of mind
- Transportation services to take you where you want to go
- Concierge and valet services that add a dash of luxury to your everyday life
- Continuing education to expand your horizons
Get to Know The Buckingham
As Houston’s premier Life Care community, The Buckingham offers a maintenance-free lifestyle that gives you access to an active and engaging way of life with friendly neighbors who share your interests. You can learn more about our senior living community by contacting us here.